2019 ATHENA Award® Nomination Form
Deadline for Submission: September 28, 2018.
The ATHENA Awards is brought to you by the Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce and its affiliate the Women’s Council.
The ATHENA Award® actively supports and celebrates the ATHENA mission of supporting, developing and honoring achievements of exceptional women leaders, inspiring women to reach their full potential—creating balance in leadership worldwide. The ATHENA Award® honors individuals who strive toward the highest levels of personal and professional accomplishment, who excel in their chosen field, devote time and energy to their community in a meaningful way, and forge paths of leadership for other women to follow. We encourage you to review all of the below information carefully. However, please note several important items:
- Please tell the woman or women you wish to nominate that you are doing so. This will ensure you have the most up-to-date information and resume materials, as well as important details about her career and successes that you may not be aware of.
- In the interest of fairness, once a nomination is submitted, you may not change or update any information once the nominations are closed. The only exception to this rule is to update a finalist's job title or company change. Again, this underscores the importance of telling the nominee ahead of time of her nomination in order to ensure all information is accurate and applicable.
- We use the nomination materials to write the introductions for each finalist at the Awards Dinner and, as stated above, we do not accept additional information once the nomination window is closed. In order to develop introductions that are accurate and reflective of the finalist, please make sure you have created a thorough, detailed submission.
You may nominate yourself or others using the following criteria, and you may also submit nominations for multiple nominees in each category. Also, please be as detailed as possible in order to give the selection committee enough information with which to consider the nominee. The more information, the better!
Please note: an individual is ineligible if she has been nominated in the two consecutive years prior the current, anticipated nomination. For example, if the potential nominee was also nominated in 2016 and 2017, she is not eligible for a 2018 nomination. However, she may be considered for nomination again in 2019. If you are unsure whether a nominee meets this criteria, please contact Michele Hefferon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-256-4614.
Nominators, including self-nominators, should address each of the following criteria in detail for the ATHENA Award® nominee:
I. PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP
Provide specific examples and detailed descriptions of how the nominee has demonstrated excellence, creativity and initiative in her business or profession as evidenced by:
- A clear leadership role, personal accountability, and results
- Impact on the revenue or financial condition of the company/firm/agency
- Impact on the quality of products/services
- Impact on customer, client, and/or employee satisfaction
- Direction of the strategic positioning of the company/firm/agency
II. COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP:
List local, state, national and international level participation. Include length of service and offices held in civic and service organizations such as charitable activities, political pursuits, religious groups, chambers of commerce, merchants' associations, etc. as evidenced by:
- A leadership role or service to an organization outside the bounds of her normal professional responsibilities
- Providing a direct contribution to the revenue or financial condition of that organization
- Providing a direct contribution to the quality of services provided that have made a difference to the organization and/or community a direct contribution to the quality of services provided that have made a difference to that organization and/or community
- Providing a direct contribution to programs, policies, or initiatives that positively impact the status of a community issue/initiative
III. PERSONAL LEADERSHIP
Provide specific examples and detailed descriptions of how the nominee has assisted women in reaching their full leadership potential, and/or demonstrated support for their professional advancement as evidenced by:
- Mentoring/coaching other women
- Influencing and/or providing/encouraging career development/advancement of women staff
- Volunteering with women’s organizations whose mission is, or is related to, the advancement of women
Online Submission Only
The more information provided allows the committee to more fully understand the contributions made by the nominee. Therefore, please provide as much information about the nominee as possible. In order to provide such information, we strongly suggest you tell the nominee that you are submitting a nomination. Use these links to view sample nominations for small business, for-profit and not-for-profit organizations. Please be sure to review the sample nomination before you begin filling out the nomination form as they provide a clear framework of the level of specificity and level of detail required for each nomination.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
- Rochester Chamber and The Women's Council ATHENA Awards Nominations Committee pre-screens nominations to ensure all required information is included.
- Finalists are determined based on the award criteria, the level of detail in the nomination form submission, and supporting documentation provided by the nominator.
- Final selection of the ATHENA Award® recipient is made by a Selection Committee consisting of a diverse group of leaders from the Greater Rochester Area.
COMPLETING THE ATHENA AWARD® NOMINATION FORM
- Please fill out the nomination form available below completely, in detail, and accurately. An option to send supporting documents (i.e., resume, letter of recommendation, awards and accomplishments) is available via email. Attachments should directly support the ATHENA Award® criteria.
- For strongest consideration, nominators are encouraged to provide detailed supporting information about the nominee’s qualifications when submitting a nomination. Any additional information regarding the nominee that is not included within the nomination submission and supporting documentation will not be considered as part of the selection.
- It is highly recommended that nominators review the nomination form with their nominee prior to submitting.
For further assistance, please call Michele Hefferon, Affiliate Manager at the Greater Rochester Chamber of Commerce: email@example.com or 585-256-4614.
Any attachments (limit is 4) you wish to include in your nomination,
please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.